Media Evolution has 370 members (2013), comprising companies, universities, local authorities and regional organisations. These include players such as BoostHbg, Good Old, Sydsvenskan, First Flight, Doc Lounge and Hyper Island.
The background to the initiative is that Skåne and Blekinge were considered to be one of Sweden's most innovative and progressive regions for development in the media sector, but that there was a need to co-ordinate the initiatives that existed in the area. These included Media Mötesplats Malmö – a project that was run between 2004-2009 with financing primarily from the KK Foundation, the City of Malmö and Region Skåne.
The activities within Media Evolution are conducted mainly in project form, and are organised within five operational areas:
- Business development: Business development projects in which small and large companies from various sectors are matched with each other and with financiers both nationally and internationally.
- Games & learning: Projects that support digital games and learning via digital media.
- Venues: Arranges a number of conferences with the aim of creating platforms for discussion, inspiration and new perspectives.
- Business intelligence: Monitors topics that affect the members, and highlights new business models and opportunities.
- Innovation & development: Strengthens the ties between ideas and entrepreneurship by supporting projects that bring together the various players in the innovation system. Develops key skills, test environments, access to technologies, capital and business relations.
The founders and those behind the initiative are the City of Malmö, Region Skåne, Region Blekinge, Malmö University, Netport Karlshamn AB, Nordic Game AB, Scandivision Communication AB, Anagram Produktion AB, Rediko AB, Planeto AB and Film i Skåne AB.
Read more about companies that have developed with the aid of Medial Evolution below.